6 Best Ways To Make Your Bed Higher
It’s not necessary to get a new bed if your current one is shorter. Some very simple solutions exist to the problem of how to elevate your bed. One common technique, among many others, is to use bed risers. Okay, let’s analyze each one individually.
1. Use Bed Risers
Bed risers are the most typical solution for this issue. These extensions not only make your bed taller but also provide you more room to store things underneath it.
The bed risers must be fastened to the bed’s legs. You may add anywhere from 2 to 12 inches to the height of your bed with this.
Types of Bed Risers
- Bed risers made of plastic are the most widely used type. They’re less expensive than alternatives and come in a variety of hues, so you may pick the one that best complements your room’s decor. These bed frames are not very sturdy and often break.
- Bed Raisers Made of Metal Metal bed risers will survive far longer than their plastic counterparts. They are also modifiable to your needs. Consequently, the bed’s height can be adjusted to suit your needs. The problem is that not all bed frames can accommodate these risers.
- Bed risers made of wood are more long-lasting than those made from plastic, but they might be difficult to move about. Furthermore, they enhance the visual appeal of your bed.
- Those who are particularly creative can even create their own bed risers. All you need are some cinder blocks or lumber, a hole saw, a drill, and some screws. You can get everything you need from your local do-it-yourself (DIY) or hobby shop.
In order to construct your own bed jacks, follow these easy instructions:
- Obtain everything you’ll need. You’ll also need a pitcher, some water, some play sand, some vaseline, and some portland cement.
- Put everything in a bucket and give it a good stir to combine.
- Now transfer the contents of the bowl to a pitcher.
- When the concrete has set, you can take it out of the pitcher and store it under your bed.
How to Install Bed Risers to Make Your Bed Higher
Bed risers are a useful tool, but they require some know-how to install properly. Easily accomplish your goal by following these directions.
- Take out the bed and put it somewhere else.
- Bed risers are meant to be attached to the underside of a bed, elevating just one corner.
- Proceed to the other three corners of your bed in the same manner.
- Please replace the mattress on the bed.
How to Choose the Right Bed Risers?
It’s important to get the correct bed risers in order to raise the bed. So, let’s make things easier for you. Picking the right bed lift can be challenging; here are some things to keep in mind.
- Bed risers can add anywhere from an inch to ten more to your mattress’s height. Pick the riser that gives you the most height gain. A measuring tape can help you figure out how high you would like your bed to be before you purchase a bed riser.
- Be sure your bed riser can handle the weight of your bed. Remember to factor in your own body weight in addition to that of any other occupants of the bed and the mattress itself. On average, risers have a weight capacity of 450 kilos, or 1000 pounds.
- When does it matter that something be aesthetically pleasing? You’d better be happy with the way your risers look if you’re going to leave them uncovered. Bed jacks are provided and can be found in a rainbow of colors. Consider the room’s overall atmosphere before selecting them.
- There are plastic, metal, and wooden risers available. Though they’re inexpensive, plastic risers won’t hold up over time. Riser options include both metal and wood, both of which have extended lifespans. Wooden step stools, however, will complement your decor the most.
2. Use a Bed Wedge
In order to raise or lower the head of the bed, an adjustable bed wedge can be used. They aid in bringing the upper body up to the level of the lower. A bed wedge is an option if you’d want to prop up your mattress’s head.
Many medical issues can be alleviated with the use of a bed wedge. It helps with acid reflux and alleviates pain in the shoulders and upper back. What’s more, it’ll help people who suffer from respiratory issues breathe easier.
You may get bed wedges in a wide range of materials, from simple wood to adjustable metal and plastic models that allow you to customize the height increase of your bed.
How to Install a Bed Wedge
In some cases, two persons will be needed to help you place a bed wedge to increase the height of your bed.
- Get rid of the bed and store it somewhere else.
- Raise the two end posts of the bed.
- Now have your second person slide the bed wedge under the bed frame. Place it so that it parallels the bedposts.
- Set the wedges under the bedposts. Make sure they’re buckled in so they don’t move around.
- Put the mattress back on the frame after you’re done.
3. Use a Mattress Topper
It is possible to use a mattress topper as an alternative to bed risers or wedges. Mattress toppers are extra padding that goes on top of a standard mattress.
Toppers are more comfortable than mattresses because they are softer. There is a limit to how much they can raise the bed, though.
How to Install a Mattress Topper
- Put the mattress pad outside so it can expand to its full size after being removed from the packaging.
- Spread the mattress pad out on your bed.
- The straps should be fastened to the four corners.
- Prepare for bed as usual, please.
4. Add Wheels to Your Bed Frame
Your bed will be taller and more mobile if you add wheels to it. It’s simple to relocate the bed so that you can clean it or rearrange the furniture in your bedroom.
How to Install Wheels to a Bed Frame
Putting the bed on wheels to make it higher could be a little problematic. However, if you stick to these guidelines, you will find the process far less daunting.
- Take out the bed and put it somewhere else.
- Flip the bed over, and locate the bottom corner where the caster wheel will fit.
- Poster frames require holes to be drilled for display.
- Put the cylindrical receivers in the openings.
- Now, securely insert the poster canters into the cylindrical holders.
5. Switch to an Adjustable Bed Frame
Having the ability to change the height of your bed at the touch of a button is one of the many advantages of a bed with an adjustable frame. Just fantastic, wouldn’t you say? The height of your bed is completely up to you.
Surely you’ve seen these hospital beds before. You can have them in your own house now! In many cases, medical professionals advise their use.
It can cost a lot of money to buy a bed that can be adjusted. In spite of this, I believe the benefits justify the cost. The vast majority of them can be operated using hand-held controllers. There are also massage functions and USB connections for charging your electronics. That’s why modern conveniences like the adjustable bed are so appealing.
6. Use a Mattress Foundation
A mattress foundation allows you to raise the height of your bed. A mattress foundation is a sort of low bed frame that provides a flat, firm platform for your mattress. In addition to extending the life of your mattress, they prevent it from sagging. Additionally, there is some room for extra stuff under the bed.
It is recommended to use a foundation if you sleep hot. Why? Because air may freely circulate under and around your mattress.
When Do You Need To Raise Your Bed?
There are a few scenarios in which you would choose a taller bed. While others do it for purely aesthetic reasons, difficulty getting in and out of bed is a real issue for some people. If you suffer from joint pain, raising your bed’s height will make getting in and out much simpler.
In a cramped studio, it’s worth considering a bed with built-in drawers or an underbed storage unit. In that scenario, you should consider purchasing a taller bed frame.
What Is The Best Bed Height?
Most people prefer their mattress and frame to be at a height of 25 inches from the floor. However, there is no universally-preferred bed height.
Consider your age and height before making this decision. The bed’s proximity to the floor may make getting in and out of it less of a hassle. The hips and knees, though, may feel the effects of this. If you suffer from joint pain, raising your bed is a must. If you want the option to vary the height of your bed at will, you can get a frame that allows for that.
We advise sitting on the edge of your bed and checking that your feet contact the floor and your legs make a ninety degree angle before adjusting anything else. As a result, you can determine the optimal height for your bed.
So, you’ve figured out how to raise my bed, huh? The bed frame can be raised anytime it’s convenient. Feel free to make any aesthetic or functional changes you see fit to your room.
How To Raise a Bed with Bed Risers
Raised beds work only with frames that already have legs. Each bedpost has a corresponding hole in the bed riser into which it can be slipped and secured. Bed risers are designed to simply slide under the mattress, but having an extra set of hands can assist prevent falls. But how exactly do bed risers work to elevate a mattress?
You may use bed risers to make your bed taller by simply selecting the appropriate set of risers based on the desired height increase, and then placing each bed leg into a riser.
How to use bed risers in greater detail:
Step 1. Determine how much height you want to add to your bed
Take a measurement of the current area under the bed using a measuring tape. Then, calculate a rough height increase. It’s a good idea to measure the height of the goods you intend to store under the bed so you can determine if there will be enough room for them.
Step 2. Choose the right set of bed risers to raise your bed height
Typically, bed-heightening wedges are sold in fours. Choose the appropriate height and material for your needs (plastic, wood, or steel). In the event that you are unable to find a suitable size, plastic risers that may be stacked may be an option. Make sure the risers can hold the bed and everything on it by checking the package weight rating (including yourself).
Step 3. Elevate one corner of the bed frame
To use a bed riser, just raise a single bedpost and insert it into the bed’s hole. The diameter of the bed risers should coincide with that of the legs.
Step 4. Insert the leg into the riser
Bring the leg down until it slides easily into the opening and snaps shut.
Step 5. Do the same for all of the remaining legs
For the other legs, repeat steps 3 and 4.
This article, How to Raise a Platform Bed and Lift It with Bed Risers, will walk you through the process of building your own bed risers if that’s what you’d like to do instead of buying them. For more, read our piece titled “Are Bed Raisers Safe?”
List of Different Bed Riser Alternatives
Bed risers aren’t the only option for getting a bed frame off the floor, though; there are other, more creative ways to do it. If you don’t want to spend the money on bed risers, you can use any piece of furniture or other object that is strong enough to hold the bed up without collapsing under the pressure. These alternatives to traditional bed risers are not only practical for elevating the height of a bed, but also for creating more space for storage underneath.
Bookshelves or dressers, cinder blocks, lofting kits, chains, and wooden pallets are some alternatives to traditional bed risers.
Alternative 1: Bookshelves or Dressers can be great bed riser alternatives
You can make a captain’s bed by placing two long, tall bookcases or drawers under your mattress. If you don’t have room on the floor for a conventional bed and separate storage, this is a great option to consider.
Here’s how to use bookcases to make your bed higher:
Step 1: Place the two pieces of furniture on the floor and make sure they’re evenly spaced
You should place the bookshelves (one at the head of the bed and one at the foot of the bed) at the appropriate distance apart, taking into account the size of your bed, so that they can adequately support the bed and all the items on top of it.
Step 2: Stabilize the bookshelves with cross braces
Mount one cross bracing (here’s an example from Amazon) to the interior of the bookcase at the foot of the bed using a drill and screws. Repeat the process with the one you plan to use as your bed’s centerpiece. Because of the cross braces, the bed won’t be able to rock back and forth.
Step 3: Spread shelf liners on top of the bookshelves
Protect your bookcases from dings and scrapes and keep your bed from sliding about by placing shelf liners (like these) on top.
Step 4: Put the bed frame on top of the shelf liners
When you’re done, cap it all off by setting the bed’s foundation atop the frame. Screws might be used to fasten it to the wall, the bookcases, or the dressers. Once the bed frame is assembled, you can lay your mattress on top.
Alternative 2: Cinder Blocks
Use at least 10 cinder blocks to raise your bed. There will be more room under the bed if you stack the blocks higher.
Here’s how to use cinder blocks to make a bed higher:
Step 1: Choose the number of blocks you want to use
How high you want your bed raised and how many cinder blocks you will need are both variables. When stacked, two cinder blocks of standard height (six inches) will give you a storage height of twelve.
Step 2: Paint the cinder blocks with gripper paint
To prevent the blocks from drying out and chipping, you should first treat them with grippy paint (like this one). Improve their appearance by painting them the color of your choice the next day.
Step 3: Cover each cinder block with a piece of shelf liner
To prevent the blocks from scratching each other or the bed’s foundation, you can cover the exposed sides with scraps of the shelf liner.
Step 4: Arrange the blocks at every corner of the bed
Arrange the blocks such that they meet in the middle of the bed and the four corners. Pile on as many blocks as are required to keep you, your mattress, and the bed itself from toppling over.
Alternative 3: Lofting Kit
A lofting kit will allow you to raise your bed to a higher level, freeing up valuable floor space. Lofting kits often include supplemental legs, pegs, a safety rail, and a ladder. When a bed is raised, the area under it can be used for other pieces of furniture, such as a couch or a desk, or for extra storage. One such twin lofting kit can be seen in the image below, which was purchased from Amazon. If you’re looking for more inspiration, check out our article on raising the height of a loft bed.
How to Loft a Bed
Step 1: Turn the bed frame on its side
Take out the mattress and turn the bed over down. Get some assistance because bed frames are heavy.
Step 2: Join the extra legs to the original legs
Lofting kits typically come with legs that already have holes in the bottom, but if yours doesn’t you can just drill holes there. Simply insert a metal peg into the slot in each leg and slide the replacement legs on.
Step 3: Flip the bed onto its feet
After attaching the replacement legs to the existing bed frame, you can turn the bed so that it is upright. For extra protection, install the guard rail and the ladder.
Alternative 4: Chains
To get your bed off the floor without resorting to utilizing bulky materials, you can suspend it from the ceiling using chains. This is a creative and unusual way to conserve loads of room by suspending a bed.
Here’s how to use chains to lift a bed:
Step 1: Decide where to position your bed
Hanging a bed requires setting it on the floor beneath the hanging point. Find the ceiling studs that are perpendicular to the four walls of the bed using the stud finder.
Step 2: Drill 4 holes into the ceiling and 2 holes into each end of the bed frame
Find the studs and screw in four ceiling eye bolts through the pilot holes. Then, screw in four eye bolts into holes you’ve drilled at regular intervals along the frame’s two parallel sides.
Step 3: Attach 4 chains from the frame straight up to the ceiling
Connect the frame’s eye bolts to the ceiling’s eye bolts with quick links (like this one).
Alternative 5: Wooden Pallets
You may see an example of a bed made from wooden pallets here. They are stylish and practical, and will lift your bed a few inches to give your room a more open feel.
Raise a bed using wooden pallets by doing the following:
Step 1: Arrange the pallets to your desired height
Build up the pallets till you reach the desired height. It is also possible to construct a bed frame out of multiple pallets by gluing them together to achieve the desired size.
Step 2: Paint the wooden pallets
If you want the pallets to look nicer, you can paint them any color you like.
Step 3: Place the bed on top of the pallets
Shelf liner can be used to protect the pallets from direct contact with the bed.
How To Make Bed Risers Look Better
There are times when bed risers just won’t go with the style of your bedroom. Bed risers can be improved in appearance if they are unattractive.
Boost the aesthetic value of your bed risers by doing the following:
- First, pick bed risers that complement the rest of your room’s decor.
- Second Step: Paint the bed risers a different color if you can’t find any that go with your room’s design.
- Third, a bed skirt that reaches the floor might be used to conceal the bed risers.
Bed risers can be made to blend in with the decor of your bedroom in any of these ways.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to make bed risers look better?
Bed risers in unobtrusive colors can be purchased if this is a concern. However, if you like, risers can be purchased in a wide variety of vibrant colors to match the decor of your space. Bed risers made of wood are more aesthetically pleasing because of the variety of styles available. Bed skirts or floor-length linens are another option for disguising bed risers.
What are the more alternatives to bed risers?
Bed risers aren’t the only option, though. You may also use chains, dressers, bookshelves, cinder blocks, or even wooden pallets.
How to Make Your Bed Higher Without a Box Spring?
When you don’t have a box spring but still want a tall bed, you can add wheels to the frame. Perhaps you might think about having a frame that can be adjusted as well.
Why are Japanese beds so low?
Futons have been the standard Japanese bed for centuries. They say it helps them stay cool and retains their spine in its natural posture.
Is it OK to put a mattress on floor?
Yes. If sleeping on the floor is more convenient, go ahead and do that. However, without a shock absorber, your mattress won’t last nearly as long. Additionally, those who suffer from joint problems may have a hard time sleeping on the floor.
How to raise a platform bed?
Bed risers, wheels, or both can be used to elevate a platform bed.
Don’t be afraid to experiment with some of the alternative methods we’ve described; you’ll be surprised at how easy it is to increase the height of your bed. Please ask in the comments if you need help figuring out how to raise your bed.