Reupholstering your old La-Z-Boy Recliner might cost you a fortune.
Recliners from La-Z-Boy are known for their durability and are frequently passed down from one family member to the next.
A family heirloom gains even more sentimental value when it has been passed down through generations.
The cost of reupholstering a La-Z-Boy Recliner will be discussed in this article.
It’s possible that the response you were hoping for wasn’t what you got. You weren’t expecting it to be so high.
This raises the question of what exactly is included in the purchase. Is it really worth it to get up from this chair? Reupholstering a chair entails what exactly? Is it worth it for me to do it on my own?
Research and speaking with an upholsterer are the most effective methods of obtaining the answers you seek. However, I will make an effort to address some of the more frequent inquiries in this post.
When an upholsterer gives me a quote for the cost for reupholstering a chair, what is included?
Say your upholsterer gave you a quotation of $1500 to reupholster your chair, for example. For example, below is a breakdown of costs:
- Price per yard of fabric ranges from $500 to $700.
- The cost of new cushioning and supplies is between $100 and $200.
- Teardown, minor frame repairs, new support systems, retying springs, and lastly adding padding and fabric are all included in the $700 to $800 in labor costs mentioned previously.
Reupholstery: Recliner Cost
Reupholstering a chair can cost anywhere from $400 to $1,000, depending on the fabric and labor charges, according to HomeAdvisor.
Reupholstering your existing recliner is usually more expensive than purchasing a new one.
Cushions, springs, and framing are all included in the $399 price of La-Z-Boy Recliners.
More than 900 different fabrics and leathers can be chosen from.
In addition, at any of our locations, you can be fitted for a recliner that’s ideal for your particular body type.
Recliner Reupholstery DIY
The expense of recliner reupholstery can be reduced by doing it yourself.
Inexperienced furniture professionals may find it difficult, and it may cost $200 to $500 to do:
Taking apart the chair, changing the old fabric, and putting it back together is a lengthy task that will take a few days to complete.
Hiring an Upholstery Pro
In order to get your old La-Z-Boy Recliner reupholstered, you’ll have to hire a professional.
We don’t reupholster any old furniture at La-Z-Boy Home Furnishings & Décor.
However, these websites can help you discover a local expert:
- The Angie’s List
During your consultation with the upholsterer, he or she will give you an estimate and answer any of your queries.
Check Out These Additional Resources
An expensive approach to revive an heirloom is to reupholster old furniture.
As a rule, you’re better off purchasing a La-Z-Boy recliner fresh.
There are a number of extra internet resources that you may find useful:
- Choosing the Right Recliner
- La-Z-Boy Recliners have a number of unique features.
- Why You Should Sleep in Your Recliner Instead of a Bed
At any of our stores in North Carolina, South Carolina, or Georgia, we’d be pleased to help you be fitted for a new chair.
Is it worth the effort and cost to reupholster?
To keep old furniture out of landfills, reupholstering it is a terrific idea. If you can afford it, though, it may be the most practical option. The truth is that reupholstering furniture can cost just as much as buying a new piece of furniture altogether (and sometimes more).
Reupholstering a chair cushion may cost less than $150, but it’s unlikely that you’ll be able to replace the complete chair for that price. However, if you fix and re-padding the chair, the price can go up from $1,100 to $1,500. As a result, you must consider whether it is easier and less expensive to simply get a new chair.
When determining whether or not to reupholster a chair, here are a few factors to keep in mind:
- The chair’s age is unknown. Is it used on a daily basis? If the chair has lasted this long, it’s probably made well and will last for a long time.
- Does it have a robust, hardwood frame? Manufacturers utilize hardwood for the frame and dowels and glue or screws to attach the joints when making high-quality furniture. Staples and synthetic wood are common features of low-cost furniture.
- It’s up to you to decide how much you enjoy it. A reupholstery job is your best bet if you like the style but can’t locate anything similar to buy.
- The answer to this question depends on whether you consider the item to be emotional or an ancestral heritage. It’s possible that you’ll want to bring it back regardless of the circumstances.
- Check out my blog post on Upholstery DIY Flea Market Finds for more information on analyzing your chair and choosing a decision.
You need to be aware of the difference between reupholstering and merely recovering your furniture.
Recovering vs Reupholstering Furniture: What Is The Difference?
Reupholstering furniture requires thorough familiarity with the process, not just a knowledge of the shortcuts.
To recover furniture simply means to remove the old fabric and re-cover it with new material. However, nothing is accomplished by removing the previous cushioning. For now, let’s just say that
To reupholster a piece of furniture, it must be completely disassembled, with all of the fabric, padding, and supporting components removed. In this way, not only does the product look better, but it actually performs better as well. An entirely new piece is now ready for use and can be enjoyed for many years to come.
Reupholstering My Chair: Can I Do It Myself?
Be prepared with the right tools for the job
If you’re serious about learning how to reupholster, you’ll need the correct equipment. There are many benefits to purchasing the correct tools if you plan on reupholstering more than one piece (I’m confident that your upholstery addiction will have you doing more than one).
My recommendations for upholstery tools can be found in a blog post titled “The Right Tool for the Job.”
You might also be interested in these articles:
- Learn How To Reupholster Furniture If That’s Your Goal.
- Is Upholstery Actually Possible for Me?
- Creating a Successful Upholstery Business Using these 5 Tips!
Purchasing a little extra fabric to reupholster your chair is like buying insurance
It’s time to learn how to measure your chair so that you can get the proper amount of fabric for your reupholstery project (fabric yardages). In our upholstery training membership we have a video that will help you with this task.